Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Asymmetrical Mirror Finished!


So as you saw in an earlier post, I picked up an old golden mirror at a garage sale a few weeks ago.  It's nice and heavy and appears to be rather old, but the finish was a cheap, one-dimensional gold finish that really didn't do anything for me.

All finished

I decided to paint it with AS chalk paint in a warm grey color called Coco. I distressed the paint to let the slightly metallic gold color come through a bit and then used a dark wax to accent the molding. I'm a bit unimpressed with it in general. I didn't quite get the effect I was expecting with the dark wax, but when I ask myself what I wanted to achieve with it I can't really tell myself precisely what I expected. I think it is an improvement over the original finish and I think it will look nice hung up, but I'm not crazy in love with it, like other things I've worked on. However, I am very pleased with how well it cleaned up. I thought it was going to have that vintage mirror feel with spots under the glass and uncleanable smudges, but it shined up exceptionally well.
       On top of that, I've come to embrace the asymmetry of the molding. In fact, I find it positively laughable that someone went to the trouble of creating this strange mirror with obvious symmetry issues. They were obviously either symmetrically challenged or an occasional lazy ass, both of which are similarities I share. I find the imperfections almost endearing and think they add some personality.


Also, I feel that the photographs don't do the mirror justice. Photographs rarely do their subjects justice anyway but this finish in particular was tricky to capture. I also wish I had a more realisic/homey/cute place to stage my finished pieces ;)

Please pardon the lovely gutter featured in the reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment