Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Facelift for the Bentwood Rocker Hiding in My Attic



Somehow through all my painting craze, the one in which I tried to get my blue and green paint-caked hands on anything and everything paintable, I managed to miss a large and hideous old bentwood rocker up in my attic. It has the classic swirly shape of this well-known rocker and that delectably ugly dark wood that just screams "paint me, paint me!!" So I called up my friend Claire, who has a great little place in East Nashville, and asked if she would have room for a rocker if I made it awesome. You see, I'm all about making sure my pieces have homes before I paint them, as a responsible painter and also because I'm apparently becoming the "crazy cat lady of tables" (psh I only have like 3). I'm also tiring of the jokes about how I should live in the basement studio because it is already fully furnished, minus a bed. Har har. Anyway, here's how the rocker turned out!

Here is the rocker in its original state (minus the caning on the seat which got a layer before I remembered to snap a shot)

I painted the caning a nice sage green wash and the body my favorite Duck Egg blue (both Annie Sloan). I also drank some wine throughout the project and wore my favorite shorts that my friends won't allow in public

After painting, which took a deceivingly loooong time, I decided that I really liked the colors together in theory but the effect in person was just so flat and frankly boring. It looked like it belonged in a nursery.

I clear/dark waxed the entire piece (which ohmygod took forever) and distressed it, but then the caning and body were too closely colored to contrast the way I needed them to

I went back over the caning lightly with a dark wood stain (idk if that is advisable or not, but it worked nicely for me!) and then wiped it off, bringing a lot of texture and visual interest to the piece. I also strategically wiped off dark wax. Feeling rather pleased with the current state!


I now declare it Finished (for now)!!


 





It took exponentially longer than I had anticipated to refashion this classic bentwood rocking chair, but it has turned out to be a neat piece and I think Claire really likes it. Job well done in my eyes!

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'm currently in the process of taking my bentwood rocker completely apart and sanding it down to get the dog bite marks out. I want to go two-tone, with painted caning and stained wood. I reserve the right to change my mind though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your rocker go back together again? I was told it has wood screws and once removed you can't put in New ones. I want to take mine apart to paint t it.

      Delete
    2. Depends on the type of screws the manufacture used. I took mine completely apart, sanded it, painted it, and put it back together. I used Hide Glue at the screw holes to help seat and hold the screws. It's very strong and tight. Now I'm re-caning the seat and back.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete