Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bizarre art by my favorite artist, Andy Kehoe

All Turns To Brilliance, Andy Kehoe
(forgive me for posting without permission, but you have to see these) 


On The Banks of Broken Worlds, Andy Kehoe


Continuing along the lines of the last post, I wanted to share the work of another artist I admire. His name is Andy Kehoe and not only is his artwork reason enough to know his name, but if you browse through his website or take a gander at his blog (Tall Tales of Depravity) you'll find that the guy is absolutely odd and completely hilarious. He throws frivolously ridiculous sentences into otherwise perfectly normal descriptions. Or he just jumps in with ridiculous right from the beginning. Take, for example, the first few sentences of his autobiography: (courtesy of his website)

Andy Kehoe was the son of a sea merchant that was killed by pirates when he was just three years old. His father barely had time to throw his son overboard before the cargo ship that usually carried pickles and kittens to Spain, carried the burning corpses of his father and all his closest friends to the bottom of the ocean.

What?! That's not the whole story and that's not even the only self explanation he offers. In fact, it's only one of three. I strongly recommend the rest if the above tickles your fancy in the least.

As for his art, it entirely stuns me when I look at it. Seriously, do yourself a favor and browse through his portfolio. It has such a distinctive feel to it as a whole---creepy...yet not unpleasant. Take a look and see what you think. I'm having trouble putting what it makes me feel into words! The aesthetic just really appeals to me, and feels very much like a modernized version of art in the Pacific Northwest Native American tradition (think highly stylized animal forms, particularly faces, in yellow, black, brown and sometimes red). Mix that with a heavy dose of Where The Wild Things Are (whose author, Maurice Sendak, died recently) and you have Andy Kehoe.

Hope you enjoy.

UPDATE 6/26: Here's one more picture. I just can't stop obsessing with these paintings! I think this one is new, it's called Mutual Enchantment.



No comments:

Post a Comment