Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Accidentally Insane Yoga


     After at least a 5 year hiatus from my sporadic yoga attending "routine," I decided to make the best of my day off yesterday and attend a "restorative yoga class" at my gym. It took me a few tries to locate the class but once I did, I sought out the instructor to say hi and that I was new and to inquire as to the difficulty of the class. Unfortunately, the first thing he says is to the effect of "yeah, this class is advanced and very difficult. I know it says restorative yoga online, I've been trying to get them to change that for years. You're welcome to come and just do as much as you can, don't feel shy to just get up and leave if it's not for you."
     Let me tell you, I was not prepared for this class. It was insane. I had never done much besides beginners or intermediate yoga at best, but I really pushed myself during this class and did the best I could. Still, there were definitely things I didn't even attempt for fear of injuring/embarrassing myself. After class, the instructor came over and asked how I liked it. I mentioned the advanced poses (seriously, insane) that I wasn't prepared for, and he asked if I was a dancer, because "you're pretty flexible." I took it as a giant compliment, but tried my hardest not to laugh (too heartily, that is) in his face. It was a huge reminder that people are far from what they appear, because I am about as far from a dancer as one can get. But he is not what I expected either, because as a past-middle-aged, non-buff man he didn't appear fit, limber, young or frankly hip enough to do this, thisthis, or this from appearances alone. I didn't manage to do any of the propped up poses except for the Crow Pose, but I can nearly get my foot behind my head and today I am really, really reeeeeally wishing I hadn't. On top of that, I was feeling so motivated after class that I popped into the weights section for a quick workout. Oh dear lord, I woke up feeling pretty sore this morning and it has only gotten increasingly apparent how painful "just stretching" can make you feel. For the most part, it is that good kind of hurt from a solid, new workout, but I haven't felt sore like this in quite some time. I think I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure. I bet I'll have a more defined opinion tomorrow ;) In the meantime, I'm pretty sure I need to find myself an actual restorative yoga class!


No comments:

Post a Comment